If you want to give a loved one who loves gardens a great day out, why not treat them to tickets to a flower show?
I treated my parents to a trip to the RHS Hampton Court Flower Show. We had a fantastic day out – we went on a Thursday - and we came away very inspired!
It was a lovely way to spend a day, just strolling around and enjoying the colours and scents and sights. We picked up lots of ideas, asked experts about this and that, came away with tips and techniques and treated ourselves to lots of little goodies from various stalls.
I did make sure we included a stop for a sit down lunch (booked separately to the tickets and extra on the ££) because I wanted to make sure that Mum and Dad could have a chance to really sit down properly and have a rest and also because if the weather proved to be wet, we knew we had somewhere we could sit indoors out of the rain.
So the RHS (that’s the Royal Horticultural Society, best known for RHS Chelsea and RHS Hampton Court flower shows) have a great line up of shows for this year. You can just buy tickets or you can also become a member and enjoy discounted tickets, priority tickets and more!
|13 – 15 April ||RHS Cardiff Flower Show ||South Wales || || |
|10 – 13 May ||RHS Malvern Spring Flower Show ||Worcester || ||
|22 - 26 May ||RHS Chelsea Flower Show ||London || |
|6 - 10 June ||RHS Chatsworth Flower Show ||Derbyshire || |
|22 - 24 June ||RHS Harlow Carr Flower Show ||North Yorkshire || |
|3 - 8 July ||RHS Hampton Court (the preview evening is on 2 July) ||Surrey || |
|18 - 22 July ||RHS Tatton Park Flower Show ||Cheshire || |
|1 - 5 August ||RHS Hyde Park Flower Show ||Essex || |
|17 - 19 August ||RHS Rosemoor Flower Show ||Devon || |
|4 - 9 September ||RHS Wisley ||Surrey || |
|All year round ||London Shows and on tour events || || || |
If that list isn’t enough, there are also London Shows and on tour events all the year round.
You can join the RHS here – check out the membership benefits – and yes, they offer a gift membership scheme:
- Free garden visits to the world famous 4 RHS gardens (Harlow Carr in North Yorkshire (well worth a visit, and they’ve got Aunt Betty’s tea rooms on site when you’re hungry from strolling around), RHS Wisley in Surrey, RHS Rosemoor in Devon and RHS Hyde Hall in Essex).
- Plus you get free visits to over 200 RHS Partner gardens across the UK and overseas. Partner gardens are open on selected days – they aren’t always open – but there’s a very helpful map you can use to check out what’s open in the area you’re in.
- Discounted flower show tickets to RHS Chelsea, RHS Hampton Court Palace, RHS Cardiff, RHS Chatsworth and RHS Tatton Park. J The website does point out that tickets for RHS Chelsea and RHS Chatsworth Flower shows are limited so you need to check out ticket availability – membership won’t guarantee you a ticket
- The monthly magazine, The Garden, which is stuffed full of tips and inspiration, techniques and fantastic photographs (that’s worth £54 a year on its own). It’s a great magazine, just perfect for delving into after a long day at work!
- Personalised advice to help you make the most of your garden
Visit the RHS website here to buy tickets and membership